Time for kitchen and decluttering organization!
We are kicking off the challenge with kitchen decluttering and organization. After the holiday season, my kitchen was in extreme need of decluttering! You can read more about the Clear the Clutter challenge and I hope you join us!
FIRST TIME JOINING IN OR RETURNING?
If this is your first time joining the Clear the Clutter Challenge, welcome! I am so glad you are here! For those returning, welcome back. It is so good to do a decluttering of your home every year as it helps you to refine your systems and maintain a clutter free home.
Week 1: The Kitchen & Dining Room
Welcome to day 1 of the 2019 challenge. We will be spending the next 5 days in the kitchen and dining room. If you need extra time, the weekend is left open for you to use.
Week #1 Checklist
- Clean out pantry and throw away any expired food.
- Wipe down the area and remove any items that do not belong.
- Clear all cabinets.
- Remove what is not needed, loved, or used.
- Purge cookbooks, expired coupons, paperwork, mail.
- Clean all drawers.
- Remove clutter surrounding table.
- Wipe down cabinets and counters.
How to Work Through Kitchen Decluttering & Organization
- Clear off the kitchen table. This will hold any unneeded items.
- Empty out all cabinets & drawers! Place what you will keep on the counters, what is trash in the trash, and what is not needed on the table.
- Wipe down the cabinet doors, shelves and drawers. Add new liners if necessary.
- Check the dates on food.
- Place items back using baskets, bins to help organize. Group similar things together.
- Take everything off the kitchen counters and place onto the table.
- Wipe down the counters & backsplash.
- Wipe down ALL small appliances & large ones too!
- Empty fridge/freezer. Wipe out. Put everything back.
- Clean and organize under the kitchen sink.
Read more tips on organizing a small space and fridge organization.
My Decluttered and Organized Kitchen
With my small kitchen, I have learned to use my space wisely. We have been slowly renovating our kitchen so it is fun to see it slowly come together.
One of the areas I realized was cluttered, was my cookbooks. I had so many that I never use. I decided to keep my Betty Crocker, Upscale DownHome, and my binder I put together. Along with a cleaning book that I think every home must have!
I do NOT transfer food into other containers except for my brown sugar, sugar, and flour. I have always kept these in plastic containers.
Using an organizer to contain silverware is a must! I am also planning to add these liners to my drawers.
For paper organization, I love using my Command Center and a little organizer that hosts my papers that need to be filed. This little section also contains my Home Organization Binder (which is releasing soon in the shop!).
I cannot wait to see your kitchen progress! Remember, it will not be perfect and that is okay! As I organized, if there were things I needed, I just kept an ongoing list. This is not going to be magazine worthy but it is going to be a decluttered and organized space that helps your family function well!
Meet the Hosts of the Clear the Clutter Challenge
Make sure to check out my co-hosts tips as well!
Clear the Clutter Challenge Week 1: Kitchen
Decluttering Your Kitchen and Pantry in 6 Easy Steps
My Favorite Free Trick for Decluttering Cabinets & Kitchen Organization
Leave a Reply